Crab Meat and Brie Soup
Courtesy of Chef Kim Kringlie, Dakota (Covington, La.)
Yeilds 1 Gallon
2 lbs. Fresh Louisiana Blue Crabs
2 oz. Olive Oil
1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
1 Medium Carrot, diced
3 Ribs Celery, diced
1 Pod Garlic, minced
2 Bay Leaves
2 oz. Brandy
1 cup White Wine
2 qts. Water
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter
3/4 cup Flour
2 qts. Heavy Whipping Cream
8 oz. Brie Cheese
1 tsp. White Pepper
1 tsp. Salt
1 lb. Pickled Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
Salt, White Pepper and Cayenne, to taste
Using a meat mallet or hammer, crack open crab shells until meat is exposed.
In a 1-gallon stock pot, heat olive oil; add cracked crabs and saute for 5 minutes. Add vegetables and bay leaves; continue to saute for 5 minutes.
Add brandy, white wine and water; bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 45 minutes. Using a skimmer, remove crabs and vegetables from stock.
In a small saute skillet, melt butter and blend in flour until smooth and creamy; simmer over low heat for one minute. Add mixture to stock using a wire whisk until roux is dissolved.
Add heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove outside rind from brie and discard; cut cheese into 1-inch cubes and add to stock stirring constantly until cheese completely melts.
Season soup with salt, white pepper and cayenne.
Strain soup through a fine strainer, add jumbo lump crab meat and serve.
Chef Kim Kringlie
- Then and NowTHEN (September-October 1976; Issue 9-10) Stalking The
- WATERBODY & WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA SPOTLIGHTAtchafalaya Basin Size: 833,000 acres of land, swamp
- TAKING STOCKLDWF Fisheries Biologists Interested In More Than Size
- STAYING ON TRACKLDWF Enforcement Agents’ Persistence Leads To Solving
- KEEPING A CLOSE WATCHLDWF Biologists Remain Vigilant In Monitoring For